Wednesday, September 2, 2009

Day 9

I am writing this during our free time after lunch – this camp so much reminds me of those movies that take place in performing arts schools, where as you walk around there are people practicing their instruments and talking music theory and comparing sound equipment tips and stories everywhere! In our free time! I am in our practice room, and all 4 of my teammates have been in here in the time it took me to set up my computer and type this much!

But as Rachel (my cabinmate) says, with Christ as the foundation there is such a sense of joy and humility in it all. This makes the incredible sounds emanating from the practice cabins all the sweeter.

I am on vocal rest for this morning. Everyday we have sample programs, sing-alongs, sectionals and Last Word, which means we sing a lot, even if you are just a sound tech. I need to learn to pace myself.

I have heard stories of people who are feeling unsure of their place here. There are a lot of extremely talented people on team. Those who are taking on a new instrument, or especially those learning their first, have expressed feelings of inadequacy and doubt. From what I have heard, this is internal, they are not being told that they need to be better or learn faster, but they are thinking that themselves (or perhaps the devil is playing his tricks). I ask for prayer for these people and their learning process, that they may have the courage to ask for help if needed, the persistence to press on, and the boldness to rock out on what they do know! Oh, and good memories for the more experienced teamers, that they might remember what it was like their first few weeks.

We had a great sample acoustic program done by the Water Vision of Rainbow Fire Team. (The international music staff took one word of each of the international teams – Watermark to Denmark, New Vision to Australia, Rainbow of Promise to India, and of course Cross Fire to Africa.) It was incredible – worshipful, with clear themes, smooth transitions, hilarious as well as serious and moving elements, they spoke to their audience, kept up their energy, and shared leadership… so great. Kind of intimidating. A little scary to think I will too be expected to do that day after day after day. And then go and do relational ministry with the host family!

I am excited – tomorrow is our day off! I have never been so excited for laundry before!!!
That means I will have internet to post these blog entries and send some emails! I have missed your emails and comments, just that connection, but it has also been good to focus on the connections I am making here.


Talk to you soon!

2 comments:

  1. I decided about a year and a half ago, that connections with people are HUGELY important to me. I have since started tracking down people I haven't talked to in YEARS, like old friends from middle school and such. And it has been a positive experience for the most part. It feels like a God thing, like something that God values, but I can't necessarily put my finger on why.

    Now- Don't be afraid of losing us, because we are all going to end up in the same place. Don't let yourself get so caught up in keeping up with us that you lose out on what is going on in the "here and now." We want to know what is going on with you, and are grateful to be involved in your exciting adventure, but it's YOUR adventure. Go live it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have to echo Rod here, if you are having trouble finding time for God, please don't use time that could be spent to build up in God, or with your teamers on us. Now, don't get me wrong I love feeling connected and reading about your adventure.

    It is kind of like while I was at Disney, we were watching the fireworks at EPCOT. I found I missed most of them because I was trying to take pictures of them. So don't miss out on your adventure because you are busy documenting all of it.

    Miss you and Love you!!

    ReplyDelete