Wednesday, August 26, 2009

Day 3

Today we had our first team check up, which are pretty much how they sound, checking how your team is doing. We had more theology, which is confusing, but all the former teamers say is helpful once you start actually talking with people who have the worldviews we learn about. Then we had a time of feedback about the application process.

For as much info as they are throwing at us, it seems to have a pretty good mix and schedule, hard then easy, entertaining then boring, business then ministry.

This afternoon was Tiger again – Rev. Dr. Tiger to be exact. Today he talked about
The Main Thing vs. The Vague Thing
We give people vague statements like shine your light in the darkness, God loves you, Jesus saves… but those things do nothing, make no difference, have no impact when people have real troubles in their lives.

Most people want a god so they can go to heaven, but do not want interference in their lives (hence the small g god). But God is a Big G God who, when invited into your life, will turn it upside down, inside out and backwards ( love your enemy, last shall be first, socialize with the undesirables, His chosen are not the most qualified or educated, ie. The Great Reversal). You need to communicate that Clear-ly.
C clear communication
L loving in actions
E example (both live it out and have specifics and concrete evidence)
A always be growing
R risk takers

After dinner, our team had our first behind the wheel – I am not a driver this year but all of us went to learn how to be good navigators and supportive passengers. Then we came back for Meet By Team. Today’s topic was our call to team and what and how we learned about team (and for us, about our parents reactions to the Africa news!).

This year, my goal is to read through the Bible. I have a Bible that already has it broken down into sections with devotional material, and I have been really consistent this past month and a half. Today I was reading in Haggai 2 about the people’s frustration with rebuilding God’s temple, and God’s frustration with the people! I really like the way the Message says it -

"'Yes, get to work! For I am with you.' The God-of-the-Angel-Armies is speaking! 'Put into action the word I covenanted with you when you left Egypt. I'm living and breathing among you right now. Don't be timid. Don't hold back.'

I feel like I am in the covenant-ing stage, that I have received the word, and soon I will be called to be bold to share it. This is the time God is working in me to make the full commitment, to really know what is being asked of me. Right now I am ok with it, it will be hard work, and I like this part of the journey. The next stage seems a little daunting. But He promises He is with us and because of Him, we can go and do the amazing work He has prepared for us.

2 comments:

  1. I just ordered and got a Message version broke down into days= like a year of devotions. Haven't started yet but am looking forward to it.

    So you're not the driver. I think you should drive some because then you can come back and drive on NOLA trips. :-)

    If I remember correctly, each team member has a specific role. What is yours? (Do you have it yet?) Who is your driver? I like your bio on your YE page. Well done.

    So what were the reactions from the parents about Africa and how did those reactions influence your own expectations? (maybe not specifics about who exactly)

    ReplyDelete
  2. We do not have team role assignments yet, those come up at camp. Each team has 3 driver (they only insure that many - think 3 drivers x 10 teams). I believe Elliot, Katie and Ludvigs are the 3 drivers for our team.

    All of our parents really did not like the idea, but have come around or at least do not violently oppose... I do not know about the others... but mom's statement of 'they have been doing this for over 40 years, they would not send you somewhere that was not safe' was really helpful to me. (Not that she is sublimely thrilled at the thought of me in Africa...)

    ReplyDelete