Wednesday, January 20, 2010

Greetings from Ghana

Greetings from Ghana - posted by Wendy
Monday January 18, 2010
Hello from Ho, Ghana!
At least once a day I sit back and just marvel that I am in Africa! Even though I am enjoying most parts, I also think that time has gone much slower than I expected - it is only the 2nd week! But I am also mindful that I should not wish my time away.

I spoke too soon about it not being too hot, it was day one and it was earlier in the day yet - we got there after the heat of the day and I e-mailed you before it - but it is bearable. We have rested in the afternoons, which helps.

Our first week we stayed at a guest house in Adidome. It was luxurious compared to what I was expecting. It was made of plastered cement blocks, painted and furnished, with a nice front porch, electricity and running water (at least it ran for 3 hours a day!)

The people were so friendly and welcoming and generous! We worked with the Globeserve Church there. Pastor Frank and his wife Gloria were so kind in seeing that we rested as well as making sure we knew what the plans were. Margaret our cook made delicious food - fried yams with tomato gravy (think french fries and ketchup, but not quite), ground nut soup with sticky rice balls, and my favorite, kokolo, which is mashed plantains mixed with corn meal that is fried (think big, really sweet corn fritters!)

The whole team is getting a taste of my life, how the little children flock constantly. After church services, they walked us back to our rooms at the guest house and they wanted to be helpful so they took things to carry - our bibles, water bottles, our instruments. We were all sad to leave Adidome - they truly made us feel like part of their family. But we know that moving means we have the chance to meet more amazing people.

I am missing you from so far away. I just changed my watch to Ghana time yesterday. It was such a comfort to know what time it was there and imagine what you all were doing.

Tuesday January 19, 2010
It is sunny and hot here, a little breeze. We are at a hotel the church owns, and we get to use the laundry for free! As far as what I packed, other than I should have packed more bandanas, and I should have checked - my sunscreen is "after sun" not before. Other than that, I have more than enough.

Cities: Adidome is about the size of Wells (1000 people) Ho is about the size of Albert Lea, but with more people.

Travels: On the way here we were in planes with 2 seats-aisle-4 seats-aisle-2 seats both from Chicago and Germany. We ride in a taxi-van most places we need to go. However, next week when we travel from Accra to Tamale, we want to find a bus or something bigger than a van at least. The distance is about 100 miles.

A typical day looks like this: Nearly every morning we get up and do door-to-door evangelizing for about 2 hours, then rest during the heat of the day. Then there is a 2-3 hour worship service starting about 7-ish.

The best thing so far has been: that the people praise with such passion and fervor and singing and dancing

The grossest thing I ate: taste-wise was banku - basically raw cassava bread dough you dip in soup. But we had a dish called kenkey that no one really enjoyed, but we ate it to be nice to the cook. That night, I woke to sound of puking outside my window. The whole group was nauseous in the night and it was worse the more you had eaten of it. The boys all threw up, the girls were only nauseous.

Editor's note - Kenkey is a staple dish similar to a sourdough dumpling made from fermented corn. The corn ferments for a few days, then is partially cooked, then wrapped in banana leaves or corn leaves and then steamed.

The strangest thing I have seen: a High School Musical t-shirt on a little girl! And the names of the businesses are so funny - God's Time is Perfect Hairstyles, or Classy Lady Fashions, Our God Provides Enterprises, or my favorite, Obama. That's it. Obama.

I am so excited about Saturday! In the morning the contact is taking us on what he calls an excursion which means we will be visiting a money sanctuary and possibly a museum. That is also the day our cultural clothes will be ready!

I have to go for the afternoon - time to pick up my laundry!
I love you and miss you,
Erin

No comments:

Post a Comment